KE2: Food Safety Expert (Cat I)Project title: Assessment of structural, operational and hygiene conditions in slaughterhouses, identification of needs and solutions for improvement
The overall objective of the assignment is to promote social and economic development and restructuring, with a focus on rural development, human resources development and regional development.
The specific objective is to contribute to improved food safety, animal welfare, environmental protection, increased market opportunities, facilitation of the development of local food businesses and consumer protection. The team of experts will adress the following tasks
- SLH-specific assessment of structural, operational and hygiene conditions, in accordance with the new food hygiene requirements7, related categorisation and identification of SLH-specific needs to ensure improvement.
- Drafting a Strategy and an Action plan (SLH-specific) for upgrading SLHs where an improvement to meet minimum requirements is feasible and to assist the beneficiary in drafting a Strategy and an Action plan to phase out operations in SLHs where an upgrade to meet minimum requirements is not feasible.
- Overall needs assessment for SLHs in the TCc.
- Route cause analysis for current structural (including equipment) and operational conditions in local SLHs, including recommendations for improvement.
- Assessment of the organisation and capacity for implementation of controls and audits in SLHs8, and recommendations for implementation and improvement.
Qualifications and skills
- At least Master’s Degree (where an University degree has been awarded on completion of studies in an University or equivalent institution) in the veterinary or food safety area or, in its absence, equivalent professional experience, beyond the general professional experience duration fixed below (i.e. 12+3=15 years of professional experience in the food safety);
General professional experience
- At least 12 years’ experience in the area of safety of food of animal origin.
Specific professional experience
- At least 6 years of experience in assessing the implementation of hygiene requirements24 in SLHs;
- At least 2 assignments dealing with assessing and ranking (categorisation) SLHs based on fulfilment of general and specific hygiene requirements25 for food of animal origin; or assessing needs (in terms of structure, equipment, operation);
- At least 2 assignments containing a cost-estimation of an intervention aimed at improving the structure, equipment and operational conditions in SLHs;
- At least 1 assignment in setting up cost sharing modalities (public / private) to ensure implementation of food safety controls; – At least 1 assignment in assessing the adequacy and sustainability of SLHs capacities & network; – Professional experience in assessing the delivery of official controls in SLHs;
- Experience in ensuring a strong participation from a customer / beneficiary;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, strong cultural sensitivity and ability to work in multi-cultural environments.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
Skills to be considered an asset
- In depth knowledge of EU food safety policy;
- In depth knowledge of EU standards in the area of safety of food of animal origin;
- In depth knowledge of assessment of food safety control systems;
- Knowledge of general design, construction and requirements for equipment slaughterhouses for ruminants (both large and small ruminants); and related cost estimation.