Grenada: The Institutionalization of a Monitoring and Evaluation System for the Health Sector
We developed and institutionalised a Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) System for the Ministry of Health in Grenada to assist them in the monitoring and evaluation of the Primary Healthcare Policy and other health sector programmes. In order to create the M&E System, we first assessed existing mechanisms for monitoring the Primary Healthcare Policy (PHC) before elaborating a new framework for the development of performance indicators and targets. The final step was digitalizing the frameworks and processes for user-friendly monitoring and reporting. We conducted all trainings and mentoring necessary to teach staff to properly use the new digital tools.
This project resulted in the Ministry of Health’s ability to gain an integrated picture of the effectiveness and impact of all initiatives being undertaken in the sector. The evaluation framework assessed the country’s performance with respect to the implementation of the Primary Healthcare Policy, as well as other policies, plans and key health indicators, monitoring the progress of achievements in the health sector. As an end result, the system allowed the Ministry to institutionalise management systems for accountability and service delivery, ensuring that such systems could be replicated, thus improving the standard of care and quality of health services, with a particular focus on vulnerable groups such as the indigent, the elderly and children.
- Assessed existing mechanisms for monitoring the Primary Healthcare Policy
- Elaborated the framework for the development of performance indicators and targets for the PHC
- Provided support in the alignment of existing PHC and key health sector indicators, reflecting the strategic policy objectives
- Provided a comparative analysis of programmes offering M&E Certification for staff of the Ministry of Health
- Developed an operational plan, procedures and tools for the institutionalisation of the core M&E functions for PHC and the Ministry of Health
- Developed an electronic framework for M&E documentation and reporting
- Undertook workshops, trained and mentored staff in the M&E principles and techniques in the health sector