Mali : Étude de la faisabilité de l’utilisation du mécanisme REDD+
The REDD+ mechanism, which stands for “reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation and the role of conservation, sustainable management of forests and enhancement of forest carbon stocks in developing countries”, aims to reduce the rate of deforestation to preserve the climate change mitigating effects of forest. Feasibility study for Mali’s implementation of the REDD+ mechanism, which stands for “reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation and the role of conservation, sustainable management of forests and enhancement of forest carbon stocks in developing countries”. The overall objective of this project was to propose a methodology for the international governance of forests for national actors in Mali, enabling access to financing related to carbon markets.
The specific objectives of the project were:
- Objective 1: identifying the status quo by establishing the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (SWOT) to the implementation of the REDD+ mechanism in Mali
- Objective 2: elaborating a methodological plan for the implementation of the REDD+ mechanism in Mali, identifying and defining the roles of key actors
- Objective 3: elaborating and implementing a capacity-building plan for institutions in charge of forest governance and sustainable land management
- Objective 4: defining institutional and judicial frameworks, and national strategies, in order to introduce development projects under the REDD+ mechanism.
The objectives were accompanied by additional tasks to enable the government to obtain innovative financing in order to recalibrate political and strategic needs towards the sustainable management of forests, and create a system for collection, treatment and aggregation of data on forest resources.
- Conducted a diagnostic on initiation and development opportunities for the REDD+ mechanism.
- Identified the status quo including analysis of SWOT, forest cover, rate of deforestation and degradation, direct and indirect causes of deforestation and degradation.
- Conducted stakeholder mapping to identify relevant actors.
- Created a methodological plan for the implementation of REDD+ at regional and national level.
- Created a capacity-building plan for institutions in charge of environmental governance and forest resource management.
- Conducted and supported training for key actors in the relevant national sectors.
- Defined the institutional and judicial framework, and national strategies, required to successfully introduce REDD+ to Mali.
- Created a strategy of measurement, notification and verification of data to provide indicators in relation to the established references.