Uganda: Design and Development of a Web-based M&E system
Uganda’s new PFM Reform Strategy (2018/19 – 2022/23) is intended to provide the focus and prioritisation for a new phase of Public Financial Management (PFM) reforms. These reforms supported the Government’s goal of poverty eradication through the achievement of good governance, sustainable growth and a stable macroeconomic environment. Public Financial Management plays an important role in ensuring that public spending is allocated towards Government’s priorities, that there are adequate resources and that those resources are managed efficiently and effectively to deliver quality services and investments that yield an economic return. Uganda’s National Development Plans (NDPs) stipulate the Country’s medium-term strategic direction, development priorities and implementation strategies. In addition, they detail Uganda’s current development status, challenges and opportunities.
In this project, Luvent implemented Uganda’s National Development Plans and Public Financial Management Reforms through an M&E platform that enhanced the accessibility of information on progress made, thereby strengthening accountability for results, knowledge management and coordination. Specifically, the platform served to increase transparency and accuracy of monitoring and evaluating progress made against national objectives and targets. We facilitated the design and development of the system, including validation and training with the relevant users in the Ministries, Departments, Agencies and Local Governments, ensuring that the product and processes are user-friendly and effective.
- Analysed the general architecture of Uganda’s M&E systems (PFM and NDP)
- Performed in-depth analysis of business processes and core indicators
- Identified and implemented the required data integrations and systems as per the draft government interoperability framework
- Designed and integrated the platform with pre-existing shared services
- Prepared the functional specifications of the web-based M&E systems
- Developed and tested the modules
- Drafted installation guide, administrator manual, user manual and M&E manual
- Drafted disaster recovery and business continuity plans
- Held a national seminar on the new web-based systems for the concerned key stakeholders
- Trained users in Ministries, Departments and Agencies, and Local Governments